Ten minutes past six, 12th July 1888

I am possessed of a striking idea, the like of which I am certain has never previously been attempted. In order to bring my birthday celebrations to the attention of the educated classes throughout our Empress Victoria's dominions, I shall circulate of a number of hats, each marked with a signature of my intent, to trusted acquaintances. When a recipient places the hat upon his head, he demonstrates an awareness of my forthcoming anniversary and pledges to promulgate knowledge among his fellow man. He achieves his objective by commissioning a portrait from a photographer and dispatching it to me post haste, before finding an acquaintance of his own and repeating the process.

I have yet to decide how best to display the images received. If only there were some means by which they might be viewed universally. I dream of a gallery open to the world in its entirety, where any man - even the humblest of paupers - might view the photographs and derive a small degree of pleasure from the experience.

No comments: